As 2022 comes to a close this Month of Giving, we’d like to pause for a moment to look back at some of the ways our people at Blue Shield gave back to the communities where we live and work.
At Blue Shield, we have a mission-driven work culture and believe in giving back, which is why we have a 2% pledge. We cap our income at 2% and give the rest back to our members and the communities we serve. Since 2004, we’ve donated over $817 million to California communities.
The Blue Shield of California Foundation is funded entirely by Blue Shield of California contributions and works to create lasting and equitable solutions to make California the healthiest state and to end domestic violence.
In 2022, Blue Shield donated more than $1.1 million to 1,395 nonprofit organizations, including matching funds for every dollar donated up to $1,000 per employee. Our people also volunteered more than 30,000 hours of their time to our communities and nonprofit organizations.
In honor of our people and their efforts this year, we reflect on some of the ways they have lived our core values of being human, honest, and courageous while standing for what’s right by investing in our communities and caring for the environment.
A sample of the events people on our teams participated in this year included:
- Cleaning up outdoor areas for Earth Month, Coastal Clean Up Day, and throughout the year for the California State Parks Foundation
- Knitting beanies and creating cards for children with cancer
- Participating in Mental Health Awareness Walks
- Making holiday cards for our military troops
- Participating in bike rides for charity
- Volunteering at food banks
- Supporting animal-assisted therapy in the World Largest Pet Walk
- Decorating luminaria lanterns for the American Cancer Society Relay for Life events
- Donating blood and literally saving lives
- Moving for Movember to raise awareness and funds for men’s health
- Working to make Oakland beautiful
- Raising donations to cover the fees for transgender individuals to update their gender on official identification documents
- Planting trees in underserved areas of California
- Participating in PRIDE events throughout California
- Donating to Family House on Giving Tuesday
- Raising donations for Serving Seniors
- Holding a toy and coat drive for kids in underserved communities
- Raising donations for the Center for the Pacific Asian Family (CPAF)
These are just a few of the ways that our teams have been working to help make meaningful changes in the communities where they live and work. From small acts of kindness, such as picking up trash in their neighborhoods, to working on larger initiatives, they worked together this past year toward our mission of health care that is affordable and worthy of our family and friends – making the world a better place for us all to live. We cannot thank them enough for their care and dedication to these causes and many more.
To see more of how Blue Shield employees gave back in 2022, watch and share this video!
Would you like to be a part of a team that encourages giving back to communities in need and showing up as your human, honest, and courageous self? Review our open career opportunites and apply!